In this double video set meet Oliver, Dougie and Dominic and hear the functional assessment process explained.
Introduction to challenging behaviour
Using interviews with two parent carers, and with specialist input from Peter McGill, this 40 minute video gives a basic introduction to challenging behaviour associated with severe learning disabilities.
Complementing our information sheet Understanding Challenging Behaviour: Part 1, written by Peter McGill, the video has been produced for parents and carers of individuals with severe learning disabilities and behaviour described as challenging, or anyone wanting to understand what it can be like for the families involved.
Running time: 40 mins approx
Daniel, Andrew and their families
What is Challenging Behaviour?
- Self injury
- Stereotyped behaviour
- Disruptive and destructive behaviour
- Challenging behaviour may put the individual or others at risk, & may prevent the use of ordinary community facilities or a normal home life
Why does challenging behaviour happen?
- No simple answer
- A means of communication and control
- Possible health-related cause
What can be done to reduce challenging behaviour?
- Ensure the individual’s needs are met
- Help develop communication skills
- Understand the purpose of the behaviour
- Look at what YOU can change
- Don’t expect change to be easy
- Remember you’re not alone
- Get help before you get to crisis point
- Fight for your child’s rights
- The importance of early intervention
- Looking back (Daniel’s sister)
Credits and out-takes
A physical copy of the DVD is available free to family/ unpaid carers in the UK.
Other challenging behaviour video resources
Click on the links below to watch some of our other videos