Education, Child Social Care and Transition

The following pages give information about education, child social care, and planning for your child's transition to adulthood.



For Families: Getting an Education, Health and Care Plan (England)

Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans are replacing Special Educational Needs (SEN) statements from September 2014. This information sheet contains guidance for parents and carers on how to request an EHC plan, the processes involved in getting one, and what the new EHC plans should include.

For Families: Getting a Statement (Wales and Northern Ireland)

Read this information sheet to find out what a SEN statement is and what to include to help your child at school.

For Families Living in Scotland

The education system has changed in Scotland and statements are no longer being issued. Please contact the charity Enquire for information on the current Scottish system: Website: / Helpline: 0845 123 2303.

52 Week Schools and Colleges (England, Scotland and Wales)

A list of residential schools and colleges in the UK for people with severe learning disabilities and behaviour described as challenging. 


Child Social Care

At a Glance Guide to Getting the Right Support for Children

Produced in partnership with the Social Care Institute for Excellence this guides set out how to get the right support for your relative. 

At a Glance Guide to Getting the Right Support for Teenagers

 Produced in partnership with the Social Care Institute for Excellence these guides set out how to get the right support for your relative. 

FAQ: Short Breaks

This FAQ provides information about what rights family carers have to short breaks, what types of short breaks are available, and what you can do if your family member is excluded from their short break service.


Transition planning 

Planning for the Future

An information sheet to help when considering what your child's future should look like.

Planning for the futurePlanning for the Future Information Pack

England/N Ireland/Wales

An information pack written for people planning for the future of children aged 12 and upwards (transition), and those concerned about the support needs of adult sons and daughters. Contents include: Know your rights; Know the processes; Know your options; Case studies; Understanding the funding; Safeguarding & protecting the individual. To read more click here. 

'Meeting the Challenge' Guide 7: How do my family member's rights change as they become an adult?

One of the 'Meeting the Challenge' guides produced by the Challenging Behaviour Foundation, alongside Mencap and Respond. This factsheet will provide you with information about some of the main changes that will occur when your son/daughter moves from childhood to adulthood.



Early Intervention Project 

"We want to pave the way to an ordinary life for children with extraordinary needs. We believe that understanding the cause of challenging behaviours is the first step on that path."


'Paving the Way' - the website

Paving the Way is a joint project from the Challenging Behaviour Foundation and the Council for Disabled Children – working in partnership with families and professionals to share and promote good practice.


'Paving the Way' - the resource 

The Paving the Way resource is a guide to develop effective local services for children with learning disabilities whose behaviours challenge. The guide may be useful for commissioners, professionals, and families, and can be downloaded here.

Your Stories

Follow us

See us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube

Sitemap | Accessibility | Contact Us | Shopping Cart

Make a donation

Registered charity no. 1060714