CBF Local Champions are trained volunteers who raise awareness of the Challenging Behaviour Foundation, challenging behaviour, and related issues.
The CBF is delighted to work with many fantastic family carers who volunteer their own time to help us, and other families of children, young people and adults with severe learning disabilities whose behaviour challenges.
Some of our volunteers have families who have been helped by the CBF and wanted to give something back. Others were new to the CBF and were looking for something rewarding to do in their spare time.
I decided to become a volunteer for the CBF as I could not put a monetary value on the tremendous support that I received from them. Another reason was so that I can support other parents who might be going through what I went through. Balwinder
We also have a small number of opportunities within our office to help with things like sending our resources, updating records and fundraising support.
Our Local Champions raise awareness of the work of the Challenging Behaviour Foundation, sharing information about behaviour described as challenging, and related issues. The CBF is a small charity based in the South East of England, so having a national network of dedicated Local Champion volunteers means we can reach more families all over the UK.
Being a parent of a child with Severe Learning Disabilities and behaviour that challenges can be very isolating, the ripple effect is huge. Supporting other families who know you ‘get it’ can make an enormous difference. Jen, Volunteer
During the pandemic, Local Champions have been hosting regular Carers’ Catch-ups on Zoom. These catch-ups provide peer to peer support and a safe place to meet up with other families online.
Could you volunteer for the CBF?
We are currently recruiting Local Champion volunteers!
We’re looking for family carers of children or adults with severe learning disabilities, who would like to:
- Learn information and skills to benefit your own family and others
- Help us reach families in your area who need CBF’s information and support
- Use your free time to ‘give back’ and pass on your valuable knowledge
We need to fill these new and exciting roles:
- Online volunteers: We will soon be launching our CBF Facebook Group, run by families for families. We need Facebook-savvy volunteers to help moderate the group to make it a safe and supportive space for our families.
- If you are a family living in West Sussex, we need you to represent families of people with severe learning disabilities in your area: This unique role will involve representing the CBF at events and joining local discussions to ensure that your family member and others like them are considered and provided for locally. You’ll have the support of the CBF and an opportunity to make a real difference to local policy.
Other Local Champion roles are also available.
Please note that no experience is necessary and online training will be given.
Please register your interest by completing the form below to ask more about the role or the training events.
Send me more information about becoming a Local ChampionComplete the form below to tell us if you'd like to become a Local Champion. Alternatively send us an email: email@example.com
Please also see our page with other ways you can volunteer