FAQ: ‘I’ve been told that no-one can help me with my daughter’s behaviour, what can I do?’


A: You shouldn’t have to manage all on your own - families have a right to support. It’s known that there are effective ways to change behaviour and that it’s best to start as early as possible. Services vary from area to area and it can take a really long time to get any help. A lot of families struggle to make people understand how much they need help and then to get any help; this is very frustrating and makes families feel more isolated. With the CBF’s information it is possible to make a start on changing things, like Asante’s family did. To access help you could:


Use NHS Services

  • If your daughter is under 18, the local Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) are the NHS service that helps children and young people with emotional, behavioural or mental health problems. The service may have nurses, social workers, psychologists and other therapists, who can assess your daughter and offer some support or intervention.

  • If your daughter is over 18, there will be an Adult Community Learning Disability Team or Adult Mental Health Service that she can be referred to.

Some areas have a local behaviour team dedicated to supporting people with learning disabilities, look at this list or use our map to see if your area has a team.

If you’ve been to the local mental health service or learning disability team and they have done all they can for your daughter, ask them to refer to a specialist service for further help. There are specialist national services at the South London and Maudsley Hospital that local health professionals may be able to refer your daughter to.


Find specialist help

If you find there is no local or national support available, ask if the school, care provider or respite service has access to a behaviour specialist.  If they don’t, the CBF have a list of independent behaviour consultants available on request that they could use to ‘buy in’ the specialist help. Some people may be able to choose to use behaviour consultants privately and pay for the service themselves.


Ask for the service you need

Where an area has nothing available, people can ask the NHS to fund the health services they need. Write a letter to the Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) to request a specialist in functional assessment to be made available as part of the local offer. You can use this template letter to help you and find the address of your CCG using this NHS Choices search tool.

Your Stories

Follow us

See us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube

Sitemap | Accessibility | Contact Us | Shopping Cart

Make a donation

Registered charity no. 1060714