Health and Challenging Behaviour
The following pages give information about healthcare.
This section contains a video clip and an information sheet that will tell you about:
- some of the common health problems experienced by people with learning disabilities
- how health problems might increase challenging behavior
- how some challenging behaviours can contribute to health problems
- how you can help a person with a learning disability stay healthy
Frequently Asked Questions About Health Care
There are some questions which are frequently asked and here we have provided answers to these with links to further information. If you have unanswered questions after reading this information please contact us for individual support.
FAQ: Consenting to Treatment
"The doctor said he couldn’t do any tests because my son wouldn’t cooperate and now he is an adult “it is his choice”. What can I do?"
- here are our answers about consenting to treatment, including information about mental capacity.
FAQ: Reasonable adjustments
“We find it difficult to go to health appointments – what should health professionals do to make it easier?”
- services must make reasonable adjustments by law so that your relative can access healthcare. This FAQ provides further details about this.
FAQ: Dentist appointments
- here is our answer to a question about going to the dentist when your relative can display behaviour described as challenging.